{I found this draft from a while ago and I figured now is as good as ever to publish it}
Often when people find out I'm 22, graduated college two and a half years ago, and that I'm currently living in my second foreign-country-for-extended-period-of-time, I hear gasps of surprise, amazement, and maybe a bit of fear. "You're so crazy!" they say. I embrace that word, crazy. In that innate desire to be individually and uniquely loved, I live my own life in the way only I can live it. While adjectives "adventurous" and "brave" surface when I receive compliments (or critiques) from my loved ones, I truly feel like I am simply following the road I set out on when I began to search for myself.
When you grow up in a faithfully Catholic household, you find it much too easy to simply accept the truth without really finding your identity in it. God gave me wonderful parents, beautiful siblings, and a life for which I am truly grateful. Regardless of all of my gratitude, nothing any priest, friend, or even my parents say can give me a sense of identity. After years of letting life happen (and happily so!), I realized I needed to figure out my own way. Slowly but surely over the years I have accumulated advice here and there and began to embrace absolutely the miracle of life.
Hazards in high school:
Work ethic that comes from within. No college professors (or very few) worry about whether or not you want to do well. That originates in your passion for learning.
All those people you thought you would never talk to again from high school are still there, and it's never a good idea to burn bridges.
If you want to do something, most of the time all that matters is the follow through. So many people give up before they even have a chance at success.
No matter how many fights you get in with your parents, their opinion will always be the most important.
Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater: even though close friends might break your heart, do not assume that things have to stay that way forever. It's never too late for second chances, tempered with a good dose of prudence.
Some people will not only make you uncomfortable but will revel in your discomfort. Sometimes standing up for what you believe in involves walking out of a lecture.
Sometimes loving people is not enough, and they can choose to walk away.
As I finished my time in high school graduating with 56 college credits, two varsity letter sports, and a complete lack of direction I still naively felt prepared to face the world, especially since I chose a college 600 miles away from home. Little did I know that it does not matter where you go, you're still stuck with you. The appealing idea of starting fresh with all new people tantalizes the hurting insecure ego, but sooner or later the same hurting insecure ego affects the way you relate with others.
Conquests of college:
Even if you know in your head that that boy just wants something or other from you, it takes your own experiences to learn the truth.
No matter how respectful and obedient you've been in your life, there will be plenty of tempting opportunities to get in trouble. Choose your opportunities wisely.
There's a good chance everyone else in the room feels as alone as you do.
Graduating from college in two years can be exciting but you might just wish you could've stayed a bit longer for those "lifelong friends" everyone talks about. Remember quality, not quantity.
Going to a Catholic school does not mean you will have smooth sailing. In fact, you may have to stand up to others more than you would like.
Partying is fun, but hangovers are painful. The same goes for most choices you make when you are intoxicated.
The approach of graduation might be one of the scariest things in this life.
College began to show me the world beyond my hometown, but I far too easily continued my life as the high schooler I had been not too long ago. Graduating college left me utterly confounded. Fear, frustration, and feelings of failure swirled around me as I thought no other recently graduated student could be as unemployable as me. My decision to go to Ireland gave me a landline, a hope that I finally boasted the infamous "more time" that I needed. That decision also changed my life.
If you have to grieve in a place where you do not know anyone, you have to take a gamble and reach out to that person you've known only two weeks. It is practically impossible to survive mourning alone.
Skyping and calling international are difficult, but making the time to catch up with people back home is priceless.
Surfing, swimming, and fresh salty air can be the best remedies for sadness.
Facing your fears only gets harder the longer you wait. Get off your butt and face your demons.
Isolating yourself emotionally for years will catch up to you eventually. Even if you find the best friends on the east side of the Atlantic, they cannot comfort you when you are forever introspective.
It is never a bad time to ask for help, even if it involves weekly conversations with someone 3400 miles away.
Even in paradise you can be depressed. True happiness comes from within.
Trying to live your faith alone is like trying to swim across a desert. It might feel possible at first, but you will quickly find yourself dehydrated and discouraged.
I am sure (at least I hope!) that I have learned more than these tidbits but I don't got alotta time and I figured I'd put out there what I have. Enjoy or hate it, that's for you to figure out :)
Often when people find out I'm 22, graduated college two and a half years ago, and that I'm currently living in my second foreign-country-for-extended-period-of-time, I hear gasps of surprise, amazement, and maybe a bit of fear. "You're so crazy!" they say. I embrace that word, crazy. In that innate desire to be individually and uniquely loved, I live my own life in the way only I can live it. While adjectives "adventurous" and "brave" surface when I receive compliments (or critiques) from my loved ones, I truly feel like I am simply following the road I set out on when I began to search for myself.
When you grow up in a faithfully Catholic household, you find it much too easy to simply accept the truth without really finding your identity in it. God gave me wonderful parents, beautiful siblings, and a life for which I am truly grateful. Regardless of all of my gratitude, nothing any priest, friend, or even my parents say can give me a sense of identity. After years of letting life happen (and happily so!), I realized I needed to figure out my own way. Slowly but surely over the years I have accumulated advice here and there and began to embrace absolutely the miracle of life.
Hazards in high school:
Work ethic that comes from within. No college professors (or very few) worry about whether or not you want to do well. That originates in your passion for learning.
All those people you thought you would never talk to again from high school are still there, and it's never a good idea to burn bridges.
If you want to do something, most of the time all that matters is the follow through. So many people give up before they even have a chance at success.
No matter how many fights you get in with your parents, their opinion will always be the most important.
Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater: even though close friends might break your heart, do not assume that things have to stay that way forever. It's never too late for second chances, tempered with a good dose of prudence.
Some people will not only make you uncomfortable but will revel in your discomfort. Sometimes standing up for what you believe in involves walking out of a lecture.
Sometimes loving people is not enough, and they can choose to walk away.
As I finished my time in high school graduating with 56 college credits, two varsity letter sports, and a complete lack of direction I still naively felt prepared to face the world, especially since I chose a college 600 miles away from home. Little did I know that it does not matter where you go, you're still stuck with you. The appealing idea of starting fresh with all new people tantalizes the hurting insecure ego, but sooner or later the same hurting insecure ego affects the way you relate with others.
Conquests of college:
Even if you know in your head that that boy just wants something or other from you, it takes your own experiences to learn the truth.
No matter how respectful and obedient you've been in your life, there will be plenty of tempting opportunities to get in trouble. Choose your opportunities wisely.
There's a good chance everyone else in the room feels as alone as you do.
Graduating from college in two years can be exciting but you might just wish you could've stayed a bit longer for those "lifelong friends" everyone talks about. Remember quality, not quantity.
Going to a Catholic school does not mean you will have smooth sailing. In fact, you may have to stand up to others more than you would like.
Partying is fun, but hangovers are painful. The same goes for most choices you make when you are intoxicated.
The approach of graduation might be one of the scariest things in this life.
College began to show me the world beyond my hometown, but I far too easily continued my life as the high schooler I had been not too long ago. Graduating college left me utterly confounded. Fear, frustration, and feelings of failure swirled around me as I thought no other recently graduated student could be as unemployable as me. My decision to go to Ireland gave me a landline, a hope that I finally boasted the infamous "more time" that I needed. That decision also changed my life.
If you have to grieve in a place where you do not know anyone, you have to take a gamble and reach out to that person you've known only two weeks. It is practically impossible to survive mourning alone.
Skyping and calling international are difficult, but making the time to catch up with people back home is priceless.
Surfing, swimming, and fresh salty air can be the best remedies for sadness.
Facing your fears only gets harder the longer you wait. Get off your butt and face your demons.
Isolating yourself emotionally for years will catch up to you eventually. Even if you find the best friends on the east side of the Atlantic, they cannot comfort you when you are forever introspective.
It is never a bad time to ask for help, even if it involves weekly conversations with someone 3400 miles away.
Even in paradise you can be depressed. True happiness comes from within.
Trying to live your faith alone is like trying to swim across a desert. It might feel possible at first, but you will quickly find yourself dehydrated and discouraged.
I am sure (at least I hope!) that I have learned more than these tidbits but I don't got alotta time and I figured I'd put out there what I have. Enjoy or hate it, that's for you to figure out :)
No comments:
Post a Comment