Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Catholic New Year's Resolutions

Here I sit, starting the third blog post this week with not yet one published, but here's hoping I can make it through without distraction. For one, I'm writing this on my brand new, secondhand iPod touch my little sister gave me for my birthday and because since she got the new iPhone no longer needed a lame-o iPod (I'm still team blackberry for the win!). Anyway, I can lay in bed with all the lights off and no Facebook sitting open on another tab distracting me. It's refreshing.

Yesterday marks the third time I've seen Les Miserables on broadway, fourth time on stage total, and six and a half-th time if you include seeing it in the movie theaters. I might be a little Les Mis-ed out for the time being, but it was fun to get dressed up with Brianna and go downtown. I love my school but I hate that I rarely get off campus. Plus who could refuse free tickets? Mardi Gras is always a reason to go out on the town anyway. Disappointingly, I was unable to consume all of my birthday candy my family sent me, so I'll have to distribute that amongst campus today.

Speaking of birthday candy, I would just like to say, Valentines Day is not a real holiday, and it ruins my birthday every year! Since Valentine's Day comes before my birthday, even if only by three days, hallmark and Walmart find the need to put out all the pink heart themed items instead of the ones with my face on them (and the m&ms of me are so adorable!!) We all know that February 17th is commonly know as The Best Day of the Year, or Universal Gabry Day, but then the government always pays corporations like cvs and target to go for the romantic holiday to try to promote their so called vision of "world peace." I mean come on, everyone loves me, I'm practically a poster child for world peace. Anyway, that tangent is triggered from the fact that my only none pink birthday present in my package was this iPod. Don't get me wrong, candy is candy, and I couldn't be happier my family sent me. It just represents everything wrong with the US government. In fact most governments stink because the only two that fully support Universal Gabry Day are Antarctica and Pluto, and Pluto's kind of up in the air with the whole status of whether or not Pluto's government is legitimate since Pluto's planet status was revoked. Ah well. I'll get over it.

So today is Ash Wednesday, or as I like to think of it as "Catholic New Year." Now I know the actual church year doesn't start on Ash Wednesday, but Lent is the perfect excuse for Catholics and the other Christians who celebrate Lent to make the equivalent "New Year Resolutions". I for one am a typical catholic. My list of things to give up or do for Lent include the following:

-No sweets
-No pop
-No more than an hour on Facebook a day (its sad that that is a struggle for me)
-One holy hour a week
-No cussing or swearing
-5:40am yoga once a week

You can see my random and somewhat complicated decisions to sacrifice and make myself a better person in preparation for Easter. At the same time, it'll be easy for me to forget one thing because I'm too busy thinking about another. On the other hand, I've seen friends who will find it a struggle to just give up alcohol for Lent. Either way, it'll be a battle to fight. I'm curious to see how it goes.

This upcoming weekend, besides my birthday, I have my conference carolinas meet for indoor track. I will be running the 400 in the DMR and the 800m open race. Also, this means I will be in bed early Friday night in preparation and in bed early Saturday night from exhaustion. There's always next year to celebrate anyway, and 21 is a big deal. Anyway, I made it through a whole post on my iPod nonetheless! I apologize for any autocorrected mistakes or possible difficulties that may arise from the fact that I don't know what I'm doing with this thing. Until next time. Stay strong with your resolutions, and if those aren't for you, I've got some candy in my room I need to get rid of :)


1 comment:

  1. Gabry! Your blog is super awesome. It's definitely down to the earth type of post and its very sincere. Haha I know what you mean about being distracted. I have like so many ideas and so little time to implement them. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete