There are many things in life I enjoy, and random goofy stories rank very high on my "Enjoy List." Due to this, mixed with the endorphin-induced craziness my team suffers post-workout, I met "James the Jason Deli Boy."
It all started Friday night after my meet. Since we hosted a home meet, all of us were slap-happy tired from a long day on the course. When one of my crazy teammates noticed one of the servers, another teammate wrote down our numbers on a note addressed to "tall, dark, and handsome," including phrases such as, "this number for a tall, smart blonde" and "this number for a short goofy brunette" (can you guess which one I am? ha!). The phrase "call me maybe?" You bet they included that. Anyway, they gave the note to one of his managers on the way out the door, and I forgot anything ever happened.
Fast forward to yesterday, in the midst of me running around like a headless chicken trying to get everything together for homecoming, and I see a text: "you left a note at jason's deli?"
Needless to say, the text flustered me. Life flustered me in that moment. I jokingly texted back for the rest of the day, making ridiculous comments about "tall, dark and handsome" and other such nothings. Well apparently 20 year old James wants to hang out. So last night, as I'm chilling with friends and not wanting to text, I told him I was free today (Sunday) at a NASCAR viewing party. I figured some place public with lots of people would be harmless. Plus, what guy would actually show up at a NASCAR party to meet a girl he doesn't know? Apparently the right question is, what guy wouldn't?
Fast forward again, to Brianna and I pulling into the parking lot at this party, when I receive a text saying, "I'm five minutes away." I walked in to see this "party" has very few people and an awkward setting, which left me out of my element in many ways. I panicked to Brianna, but she encouraged me with the thought that I'll have something to laugh about. As Brianna and I headed outside to meet him, Travis (my advisor and teacher) asked us why we're leaving so soon, causing us to pause and explain to him about my "blind date" with the boy from the deli who got my number from a teammate. Mischief gleamed in Travis' eyes. James the Jason Deli Boy pulled up in a truck, wife beater and worn out jeans, tall, skinny, with a massive tattoo and definitely not handsome. Don't get me wrong, he was dark, and not ugly at all, but he has the more refined, little boy cuteness. We went in, sat down, and I looked over to see Travis stand up, point, and blatantly laugh.
James hung out with Brianna and I for an hour or so, watching go-carts go round in circles, and listening as poor James expressed he wished he could go-carting so badly, but alas he's broke! When he stood up to go get a drink (one of the free parts of the experience), Brianna and I quickly put our heads together and figured out a way to get Molly to call and say she needed her car back, since we borrowed it to get there. Awkwardly, dramatically, we led up to Molly calling Brianna, talking about how her parents were coming and she needed the car to go visit them so we needed to come back! The three of us gathered our stuff together, and as I trailed behind, I heard Travis say to me "You will never live this down" as his chuckle followed me out the door.
No comments:
Post a Comment